I can’t believe I sat here racking my brain looking for an idea for a blog post today (I’ll post about my awesome scones on Thursday!) when I remembered that I promised to do an aggregated blog post every month. And since I actually have a small handful of followers, I’d hate to disappoint you! All five of you.
But hey, can I just stop and take a moment to talk about how proud I am that I’ve been able to consistently dedicate myself to a blog for a month? I know, a month doesn’t seem like a lot, but this is better than I’ve done with most blogs, and I think that’s because I’m really “feeling” it this time. I don’t have to force anything or worry about putting on a persona — I’m just putting myself out there. Things are growing organically, and I can’t really complain about that.
Anyway, enough mushy — on to my “love list.”
Obviously, things are cooling down right now (you don’t say!) and yet, I’m doing my best to stand up against November and still be active, productive and happy. Here are some of the things that have been a part of my life lately.
- Chimichurri sauce. Ah yes, a zesty, summer steak sauce is perfect for a vegan in November! But okay, hear me out. I’m a woman of contrast. If the weather is cold outside, I’m going to toss some peach salsa on my sandwich and put an umbrella in my coffee. Take that, cold! Chimichurri is a great way to zest up something without it seeming too out-of-season. As for what I like it on, I’m a big fan of glazing it onto roasted corn, cauliflower, in pasta, portobello mushrooms (ESPECIALLY bellos), or, my current kick, which is mixing it in with some mashed avocado and spreading it onto a sandwich. I picked up a bottle of pre-made from Sobey’s, but I had an old co-worker named Leo who was Argentinian and swore I wasn’t having real chimichurri unless I made it myself — this is the recipe I adapted, but with cilantro instead of the parsley (say whaaaa)?!
- Pacifica’s Coconut Kiss lip butter in Blissed Out. I’ve said before that I’ve always been afraid to wear dark colours on my lips, but this one really suits me well and seems almost universally flattering because of the mix of warm burgundy with cool blueish undertones. I love Pacifica in general; their Tuscan Blood Orange scent is my go-to for any beauty product.
- A Beautiful Mess’s Cinnamon Girl cocktail. I actually haven’t made this yet. But hold up. I didn’t know until just the other night at Hogtown Vegan that Kahlua is vegan. RIGHT?! I can’t explain my thought process on that. Anyway, I love stuff that’s cold in temp but warm in taste, and more importantly, the name is a Neil Young lyric. So… perfect, right? I’m gonna get on making this this weekend.
- Scones. Blueberry scones. Raspberry scones. Lemon cranberry scones. Chocolate scones. Peanut butter scones. Daiya scones. I don’t have a favourite recipe (yet) because I’ve only ever actually made scones myself once (last night! HAH!) but they were vegan, gluten-free blueberry scones and I’ve been covering them in Map-O-Spread. Canadian tradition all the way. 🙂
- You Are Not So Smart. This podcast has become my favourite thing to listen to while I’m working and having a hard time sorting through all the junk in my head. It very cleverly and astutely identifies a lot of complexes, contradictions and fallacies that we encounter in everyday life and brings in very interesting subject matter experts to discuss them at a highly academic level that never feels like it flies over your head. It helps both bring us all down to Earth but also enlighten and empower us. I think.
- Lately, I’ve been interested in making my own hangboard. I’ve seen only a few really well-communicated methods online, but I like the idea of using a chin-up bar and arranging my own holes on it. I’m not a very “handy” girl, but I’m looking to start.
- Pantone 15-5309, Pastel Turquoise. I’m going to be painting my room in January, and I’ve decided that I want something that can liven my room up without making me look like a crazy person (my room in high school was bright red to match my angsty teen moods). I’ve always been a huge fan of that kind of light, dusty turquoise shade, which might explain why I always like going to the dentist (yeah, I’m weird, I know). I think I’m going to go with this — it makes me feel calm when I need to but gives me a little boost of energy.
- This DIY cork iPad case. This Christmas is going to be all about little pieces of gifts and DIY presents. It’s my first Christmas with my partner, and I’d love to get/make him something that no one else has. He’s a pretty fashionable but low-key dude, so I think this will fit quite well.
- A nice simple body scrub. I don’t have issues with dry skin 90% of the time. I have oily/soft skin most places. But two factors wreak havoc on my skin — windy winters (thanks, Toronto, you windy jerk) and climbing. Once in awhile, I like to take a nice long, hot shower (my bathtub stopper doesn’t work, and baths are starting to really weird me out these days) and indulge in a sugar scrub. I don’t believe in buying something you can so easily make. My personal mix is simply equal parts brown sugar and almond milk. I mostly apply it to my elbows and knees, and then work out from there to the surrounding areas. I also follow up with a buffing of Lush’s Ultrabalm.
- Alt-J’s new album. I’m going to sound totally pretentious for a second — I don’t really pay attention to current music. I just don’t listen to the radio very much and I’m too stuck in my same-old-same-old music to really find anything new. Fortunately, I was listening to Q the other night and heard Alt-J performing from their new album live in studio and I really enjoyed their stuff. I knew that they were kind of a big deal, but now I see why. Very groovy. Try it out.
Bonus #11: Anything and everything related to Chris Pratt. Oh yeah.