I have a weird New Years Resolution: to quit the gym.
Health freak Bree is quitting the gym.
Why? Well, for starters, it’s expensive considering I’m already paying the same amount for my climbing gym membership. Secondly, I am starting to feel a culture of misogyny at my gym which I find distressing. Third of all, I feel like I like my body better (and feel more personally accomplished) when I get my exercise from multiple avenues. And as a bonus fourth, I feel that the gym environment can still be a bit counterproductive to my recovery and seeing my body in a positive light. LA Fitness in general (by contrast to GoodLife, which is by no means perfect) has a culture of “achieve achieve achieve!” and is pretty ignorant of the problems of over-exertion and compulsive exercising.
So here’s the plan: I’m going back to dance full-time. Not competitive-dance full-time, but one to two classes a week focusing on advanced ballet and jazz. I’m going to be doing my pilates and leg routine at home every morning. I’m going to stretch every. Single. Day. And I’m going to continue climbing.
Sounds ambitious, right?
But I can do it!
I’ve actually been meaning to go back to dance for awhile. But with the money I was spending on the gym, it just didn’t make sense. So now I’m all about dance once again. I miss ballet. I’m quite good when I’m going often, practicing regularly and taking it seriously. So I’d love to get back to that level.
Yesterday was all about climbing, though. I took my partner to the gym where I first learned to climb, Grand River Rocks in Kitchener. We had some fun climbing on the high walls, checking out new routes and using auto-belays (though I’m not personally a fan, and I learned that neither is my partner).
For this I wanted a nice light but powerful breakfast, so I came up with a little creation of my own — tell me what you think!
Chocolate Strawberry Protein Smoothie Bowl for one
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup strawberries (I used frozen)
- 1 Tbsp flax seed meal
- 1 Tbsp raw nut butter (I used peanut butter)
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut nectar or other liquid sweetener*
Blend all on high speed (don’t use ice! You want this smoothie nice and thick!) and then top with:
- Granola (I used gluten-free berry flavour)
- Hemp seeds
- Goji berries
- Cacao nibs
Or just enjoy as a drink, use whatever toppings you please!
* I’ve been using coconut nectar lately where I used to use agave because reducing the amount of fructose I consume has been working wonders on my IBS symptoms. I’m also living a low-gluten, but not gluten-free lifestyle which is helping greatly. In general, FODMAPs are really screwing with my system, but I’ve found a great way around it.