I am definitely more of a savoury breakfast girl when it comes down to it. Give me hashbrowns, scrambles, toast and avocado, yum! But vegan pancakes are my jam — it seems even when they’re done poorly, vegan pancakes go down easy.
But trust me, these are done very, very well.
I’ve really got a handle on gluten-free cooking these days. I was really worried it wouldn’t work out well at first, but I’ve really gotten a handle on it. It’s all about learning which flours go best with which tastes, never forgetting your xantan gum and paying attention to your texture (if it doesn’t look good when you’re mixing it, it surely won’t look good in the end).
I’ve never been much of a syrup eater — I enjoy my pancakes with PB & J, or bananas! What can I say? I’m a trendsetter.
I whipped up this recipe for my cabin weekend with the Dude, but it didn’t work out so well. The batter was great, but the cabin’s cookware wasn’t the best — everything took a long time to heat up and was really, really sticky! Good thing I made a double batch, because these were just as good a few days later on the griddle at home. Yum!
Sweet-ass vegan pancakes (gluten-free!), serves 4
- 2 cups sorghum flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp tapioca or potato starch
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp canola oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal in 6 tbsp of room-temp water, stirred in a bowl and let sit for at least 5 minutes
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon (less if you’re not a fan, because you WILL taste this much)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- Pinch of fine-grain sea salt
- Combine the flax meal and water to make the “flax egg” and let sit
- Combine the flour, starch, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, xanthan gum and salt in a large bowl and whisk until fully combined
- Combine milk, vinegar, oil and vanilla in a bowl and stir
- Add the liquids to the solid, stir it up, and incorporate the flax egg
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Warm a bit of light-tasting oil over medium heat and grill ’em up!
- This yields about 8 medium-sized pancakes, so enough to feed a hungry small party.